Elder Colton

Elder Colton

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Farewell Rose Park

Hola mi familia y mis amigos
 
Well hello from Rose Park for what I think will be the last time.  On Wednesday we will be having transfers so I think I'll probably be leaving here.  
 
This week, a lot of stories and experiences come to mind as I'm writing my email.  Examples: a marriage followed by a baptism the next day for Eugenia, a baptism for Candido (his wife was baptized 14 years ago and has been looking forward to his baptism since that day), and helping a girl who was sexually abused as a kid meet with our ward's bishop so she can begin sorting out her life (similar to a pastor or preacher except that he's not paid). 
 
But all I want to share this week is my general feelings about my mission so far.  Describing exactly how I feel isn't possible.  It's been hard.  Trying to communicate with people when they speak another language is hard.  Trying to learn how to teach something that will change people's life is hard.  Spending literally 24 hours a day and 7 days a week for a minimum of 6 weeks with another person who you've never met before is hard.  Having people continually tell you to go away when you have no desire except to help them is hard.  Leaving your family is hard.  But, it's worth it.  In spanish we say "vale la pena."  In five months, people's lives have been changed in ways that neither I nor they fully understand.  In five months, I've learned that there is so much more good in this world than bad.  Watching a family go from misery to happiness in a matter of days or weeks doesn't have a price.  Feeling the Spirit of God lead to you particular verse in the scriptures that then answers perfectly a question that someone asks later that day is just special.  People trusting a bunch of nineteen year olds to lead them to a better life shouldn't happen logically.  Yet it does.  It does because this isn't the work of men.  It's the work of God.  I know that to be true.
 
I thought I would give an update on the magic tricks.  For anyone planning on serving a mission, learn magic tricks.  Kids love them.  As of right now, the kids' favorites are: making a pen disappear (behind my ear), making a tie disappear in my fist (my dad's personal favorite), moving a ring up a cut rubber band, lifting up a pen in the flat of my palm (thanks Melanie), and a few others.  Thanks to everyone who sent tricks through emails (some of the names got cut off on the emails so I don't know exactly who sent me them).  But today, Grammie and Granddad took the prize.  They sent me a little magic kit.  My companion has already had his mind blown this morning with the first trick I learned.
 
Love you all,
-Elder Colton

No comments:

Post a Comment