Elder Colton

Elder Colton

Monday, March 4, 2013

"What This is All About"


Hola mi familia y mis amigos,
 
Today you're going to hear a story about a man and his family. It teaches a few lessons.  
 
Ten years ago, a young dad wanted something more in his life.  He had young children and a beautiful wife, a good paying job, and everything most people want in life, but he was missing something.  He found that something in the gospel and he was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  It filled his life like nothing else can.  His testimony grew quickly and not too long after, he and his family were married in one of our temples for time and all eternity. 
 
Now fast-forward to 2013.  He and his wife have five children and a happy marriage.  They have a beautiful home in a quiet neighborhood.  He owns a border grill here in Layton and is one of two counselors (or assistants) to our bishop.  Last Sunday, his oldest daughter and her boyfriend finalized their engagement and life seemed golden for their family.
 
His name is Hermano Herrera.
 
Now move to Monday, February 25, 2013.  On Monday evening he gets a phone call from the police.  His oldest daughter was driving on I-15 northbound and has an accident with a semi-truck.  She dies within minutes. 
 
Everything changes very, very quickly.  Suddenly he doesn't have his oldest daughter with him anymore.  Her fiancee doesn't have her anymore.  Every plan they have disappears in an instant. 
 
On Thursday they hold her funeral and burial.
 
On Sunday, Hermano Herrera came to church alone to speak to our congregation for a few minutes.  Here a short notes version of his impromptu words:
 
"Thank you all for the support you've given me and my family.  I come here very pained, but we have felt your love.  But I want to tell you something.  My testimony of God and this Church has not been weakened.  It has been strengthened.  This morning my wife asked me to bring my daugther back.  I told her I can't do that.  It would be egotistical to want that.  She is happier now and with God again.  But I know....I know...that I will see her again.  I know I will be with her again.  We will be resurrected together."
 
That, right there, is what this is all about.  That is why I am a missionary.  Hermano Herrera just lost his daughter for a time, but because of his testimony in Christ and His Church, he say 5 days later, "I know I will see her again and I love God." 
 
Love ya'll,
-Elder Colton 

No comments:

Post a Comment