Elder Colton

Elder Colton

Monday, December 30, 2013

One Last Post

Hola mi familia y mis amigos,
 
Two years goes by fast. The experiences here are simply unforgettable. My Dad wrote me this week and included his last entry as a missionary in the Phillipines when he was my age. He manages to describe how I feel better than I can.
 
"It’s had to believe this is my last day in the field but I guess it must always come. It sure has been hard to say goodbye to some of the missionaries and members. I love these people so much. They’re the best! I really love them. We spent some time running around getting our last minute shopping done...It was really hard to do everything for the last time. My eyes stayed moist.
The last home evening went well though I was in a daze. I couldn’t believe it was my last night and my last home evening. It was really hard...Tomorrow we fly – it’s scary." 
And if I had to throw a guess out, tomorrow as I drive away from Salt Lake, I'll feel much like he did as he flew away from Mindano. Anxiety and a flood of other emotions have overwhelmed me in the past few days. To try and explain how I feel is impossible.
 
Over the past two years I’ve written letters to a few of you. Some of those may have been a bit bold and overbearing in trying to share my beliefs. Please forgive me, your overzealous friend who wants so much to share that he forgets to ask if people are interested in the first place.
 
For those of you who are wondering, at the end of my mission tomorrow I’ll be staying here in Utah to begin school at BYU next week. On January 17th I’ll be coming home to Georgia for the weekend. That Sunday (the 19th) I’ll be speaking to my local ward (congregation) at 1:30pm just as I did before my mission, and everyone is more than welcome to attend. If you have any questions contact me any time after tomorrow through Facebook or my phone, 404 933 5730, (which is the same number as before my mission).
 
The best part of this past weekend was being with Awasio. He is from the island of Chuuk (near Guam). We met him two weeks ago. He wanted to be baptized, so this past weekend he was baptized and it was wonderful. As he came up out of the water, tears filled his eyes. At his confirmation at chuch on Sunday, he glowed with happiness. Last night we visited Temple Square (http://www.mormonchannel.org/introduction-to-the-church?v=2639135657001) with him and his grandson, CJ. We taught about the Priesthood and how it was restored through Joseph Smith. We explained that he could hold that priesthood to bless his family. His final words of the lesson were "it looks like I have a mission to do," in references to sharing the Gospel with his very large family, only 3 of whom are members.
 
I know Jesus Christ lives. I love Him. I know Heavenly Father watches over me. This is the Church of Jesus Christ, just as the name implies. I hope that I can share that with more people in the years to come.
 
Love ya'll,
-Elder Colton

No comments:

Post a Comment